In adolescents and adults Sickle cell disease is a known cause of avascular necrosis of the hip joint. Eventually leading to painful degeneration of the hip joint, necessitating a hip replacement. Until recently in Mumbai and even in India patients had access to only the conventional hip joints which provided very limited mobility to young hip replacement patients. However, the latest anatomical hip replacement surgery in thane introduced by us offer much better mobility and range of activity to adolescent and young adults.
Sickle cell disease (SCD) is a genetic disorder of the haemoglobin in RBC. RBC;s that have normal Haemoglobin are disc shaped cells that carry oxygen to the various tissue and organs of the body. In SCD patient the RBC have a second type of haemoglobin called haemoglobin S or sickle haemoglobin. The flexible disc shape helps travel through various blood vessels without blocking the blood vessel. However, The RBC’s with sickle haemoglobin have a stiffer sickle shape which at times blocks the blood vessel. This block reduces the blood flow and oxygen to that part of the body leading to degeneration of the tissues. The degeneration and death of a bone tissue due to lack of blood supply is called avascular necrosis (AVN).
In SCD adolescent & young adult AVN is commonly seen in the hip joint. It starts with mild pain generally when weigh bearing activity is performed. However, over a period of time the pain becomes more consistent and more painful. The patient needs to visit his doctor for managing the condition.
Physical therapy and exercise generally helps in initial stages and to delay the impeding necrosis. However, in sever cases surgical cases decompression of the femur bone or knee replacement of the joint may be recommended. Post surgery the range of motion of the patients becomes severely restrictive.
- The anatomical hip replacement surgery provides much relief to young patients. To lead a healthy and happy lifestyle a young patient generally takes part in more activities; which requires a wider range of motion and better load bearing capacity from his hip implant surgery to carry out normal day to day life. Which this new implant provides(Learn about various types of implants used in the total hip replacement surgery). Unlike conventional hip implants the anatomical hip replacement mimics the natural hip joint in term of load bearing and movement. Hence, not only provided better range of motion but also a longer life. Some other benefits include:
- The implant has a smaller Prosthesis stem which conserves the femoral neck and acetabular side. Hence, future revision surgeries become simpler due to availability of good bone stock. Extremely important for SCD patient who need hip replacement surgery in early twenties.
- It mimics natural hip anatomy even after replacement hence
- Life expectancy is more as compared to conventional implant,
- Patient feeling of the implant is that of a natural hip after replacement surgery,
- Recovery is faster as the normal hip structure is preserved.
- Chances of hip dislocation are negligible
Hence, if a Sickle cell disease patient has to undergo hip replacement surgery in mumbai. He must definitely consider Anatomical hip replacement as treatment option. Know more further How will the life be after hip replacement surgery?
1. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/sickle-cell-disease
2. Massachusetts Medical Society. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199111213252104